Fire & Smoke Damage Tips
Tips: Do and Don’ts of Fire and Smoke Damage
To mitigate the effects of fire damage, Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo property owners choose ProCare Restoration Services. Though you can’t control the fire itself, you can control how you respond to it. Reduce the effects and minimize the smoke damage by following these Do’s and Don’ts tips.
- Contact ProCare Restoration immediately to board up open windows, roofs, or other penetrations in order to prevent additional damage.
For immediate service, contact us at: 1-888-MichPro (642-4776)
We’re here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to serve you.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- If clothing was affected, gather 1 weeks’ worth of clothing for each person. ProCare Restoration Services will send this out to be rush processed to our Specialty Dry Cleaner.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent microbial growth and odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant such as WD40
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Wash both sides of leaves on house plants.
- Leave HVAC system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting ProCare Restoration.
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting ProCare Restoration.
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting ProCare Restoration.
- Consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat, or water. (They may be contaminated.)
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Southwest Michigan residents come to ProCare Restoration Services, Inc., to reverse the effects of fire damage. Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Holland, and residents everywhere in between are encouraged to call our office in Kentwood, MI, today.